A Tuesday night. The sun has dropped behind the purple mountains of Smalltown, New Mexico and left the moon to conduct the stars acoss the inky sky. The wife and I are driving down one of Smalltown's more major thoroughfares, minding our own business, trying to get the bean home before she cries out all the water content in her body and shrivels up like a raisin. Suddenly, a cop car comes flying down a side street on the right about 25 yards ahead without lights or sirens. I see him leaning to his right, changing the radio station or spilling his coffee or wiping his boogers on the passenger seat. He notices the glow from our headlights flooding the interior of the car, and hits his brakes like a juiced-up Jose Conseco. Only his trunk remains outside the intersection. While swerving around him, I notice that he can't bring himself to look at us, and think about what it would be like to get into an auto accident with a police officer. Not good, I'm sure. Of all the police officers I've met, there are many that deserve that kind of inter-departmental embarrassment, but few who would deal with it better than a housecat facing bathtime.

4 Responses to “glazed or jelly-filled?”

  1. # Anonymous Anonymous

    the bean told me later that she always thought cops were supposed to be good drivers and law abiding citizens - we all come to realize this is false at some point in our lives, it's just sad she had to learn this so soon  

  2. # Anonymous Anonymous

    poor bean. i hope this does cause her to become jaded and cynical at a very tender age.

    i'm surprised that you didn't get a ticket for impeding the wheels of justice

    magnificent storytelling  

  3. # Blogger r.fuel

    You do hope she becomes jaded and cynical at an early age? That's not what I would have expected from her grandfather...

    Also, me too.

    And, thanks.  

  4. # Anonymous Anonymous

    oops! I didn't proofread my comment. I should have said, "i hope this does not cause her . . ." This will never happen again . . . at least not exactly this way.  

Post a Comment



words © 2006-2008
All rights reserved. Reproduction prohibited without proper consent.