holiday

Yesterday was President's Day.

Bankers had the day off. So did everybody who works in the American penal system. And probably the postal workers, too. Rain, sleet and snow won't stop 'em, but you'd be hard-pressed to get those guys to put in some overtime.

I didn't. I worked. So did Aimee and Joe. Millions of children all over America marched into school for seven and half hours of note passing, whispering, sleeping and making fun of the fat kids.

Why is this an issue? Because many of them had Martin Luther King day off. I didn't, but many did. And if there's a day off for Martin Luther King, there should be a day off to honor the guy who helped found the nation and that other dude who kept it from splitting into two. Without them, Martin Luther King would have just been Martin.

If he were alive today, Lincoln would probably say that he doesn't deserve a holiday. But Washington would be riding into the Capitol building with some Continentals to play spleen hockey with some elected officials.

7 Responses to “holiday”

  1. # Anonymous Anonymous

    Spleen hockey. I love it. Man, you need to watch out for those Continentals.

    I totally agree, by the way.  

  2. # Anonymous Anonymous

    I think that varies from state to state.  

  3. # Anonymous Anonymous

    Maybe Martin did the clean up work those first two guys couldn't manage. Those oldtimers.  

  4. # Anonymous Anonymous

    Yeah, my youth in Ohio and Massachusetts led to many a President's Day free ride, which I always dutifully spent reflecting on the many accomplishments of our presidents. Or sleeping in and watching TV. One of those two. If I were a Texan youth, I'd be pissed.  

  5. # Anonymous Anonymous

    It could vary from state to state, but I think that the holiday is becoming more neglected overall. When I was in school here, it was a holiday. Things have changed.

    And yes, Martin's work was invaluable to American society. But you can't build a house without a foundation. Or shoes without a sole. Or a computer without... technology.  

  6. # Anonymous Anonymous

    I did some checking. It does vary from state to state. Some states make a big deal about President's Day, but do nothing for MLK Day, and the other way around.

    I remember when we used to celebrate Washington's and Lincoln's birthdays separately.  

  7. # Anonymous Anonymous

    Well, color me corrected.  

Post a Comment



words © 2006-2008
All rights reserved. Reproduction prohibited without proper consent.